Pages Navigation Menu

2016 Ariel Façade Updates

December 11, 2016 Gallipolis, OH


The Ariel-Ann Carson Dater Performing Arts Centre installed a new sign on November 21 to take it a step closer to its original opulence. According to the Ariel’s Executive Director Lora Lynn Snow, the new sign pays homage to the theatre’s origination as the Ariel Opera House and reflect the coexistence of The Ohio Valley Symphony, the Ariel’s resident professional orchestra.

At the time the Ariel Opera House was built in 1895 by the International Order of Odd Fellows, America’s theatre builders liked to evoke both high culture and fantasy when they named their new creations. The character Ariel \’ar-ē-Əl, ‘er-\ n, has a variety of incarnations – a mystical sprite of both water and air, portrayed as either male or female and even showing up as a character in Shakespeare’s The Tempest. It’s also Hebrew for “lion of god.” The new signage evokes an earlier time incorporating flowing design elements from the past.

The new signage was designed by Kate Jacobs-Coldren and was built and installed by Columbus Sign Company, who also manufactured and installed the Ariel’s marquee in 2005.

Ariel Opera House

Workers from Columbus Awning Company completing installation of the new awnings.

Also on the list of façade updates were the installation of new burgundy awnings which were manufactured and installed by Columbus Awning Company. The new awnings compliment the colors of the new sign as well as the existing theatre marquee. “Ariel Box Office” was added to help identify our recently restored ticketing and office spaces.

Ms. Snow added, “Thanks to State Representative Ryan Smith, the great State of Ohio, and the Ohio Facilities Construction Commission for the funding that makes it possible to keep alive cultural facilities such as Ariel-Dater Hall which provide a space for professional performances, music lessons, meetings and community events.”

 

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This